Throw-out bearing noise?

To: blang@mit.edu, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Throw-out bearing noise?
From: jbonina@nectech.com
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 11:09:31 -0500
     TR6 symptom:

     When in neutral and clutch pedal is up there is a "noise". Some might
     call this a bad bearing if they heard it. When the clutch pedal is
     depressed, the noise disappears. (ah, the sound of silence).

     Anyway, the mechanic says it could last a long time as is..... or not.
     The car shifts fine; no problems of any kind.

     When speaking with a very distant (not well known) acquaintance who
     happens to work in one of those franchise transmission shops (double
     a, beep, beep MCO; a US joke) he says "That is something that needs to
     be taken care of ASAP before it gets very expensive to fix". Frankly,
     these tranny shops don't have a good reputation (IMHO).

     What do you listers think? Should I leave it alone or 'repair' it and
     possibly stop further damage? I've had the fluid changed twice and no
     change in the noise level.

     Always worrying,
     Jeff
     '73 TR6 in Mass.