Re: How does a TR-6 compare to a Miata?

To: stu.jo@ibm.net, laur-mac@ArkansasUSA.com
Subject: Re: How does a TR-6 compare to a Miata?
From: ArthurK101 <ArthurK101@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 16:00:57 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 98-03-20 13:41:49 EST, stu.jo@ibm.net writes:

> I have, and I have to be honest and say the Miata is faster, handles
>  better and stops faster, but then its not a 30 year old design either.I
>  am sure I will now be flamed by Listers who claim to outperform 5 liter
>  Mustangs etc.
>  Stu

Ok,Ok.  Story.  I had not driven an LBC in about 12 years when the Miata first
came out.  I went to a local Mazda dealer whom I knew.  My wife and I took it
for a test drive.  My kids were out of the nest, I wanted a sports car again
and I wanted to see how the Miata would compare to my first car, a TR4 (which
I later got back - another story).

In the '60's when my TR4 was new, I had a good friend who had a new MGB.  We
were bachelor Army Lieutenants who lived in the same BOQ and so wound up
driving each other's car on many occasions.  Our loyalty's never changed
regarding the cars -  But I became quite familiar with the MGB's
characteristics.

What happened when I test drove the Miata was that:

1) It had the ambiance of an LBC.  In fact, my wife remarked that the last
time she had seen "that smile" on my face was the day before I had sold my
TR4.

2) After we finished the test drive - our final reaction was "this is like an
LBC but this is not a TR4, it feels more like an MGB."  Why?  The "feel" `of
the cockpit and the handling.  We both agreed.

But let me tell you - it is definitely a modern car.  So what you get is a
modern car with an LBC flavor.  Mazda did a good job and we should be happy
that they thought enough of our LBC's to do what they did.  The damn thing is
still selling and Mazda just came out with a new Miata model for '99.

Would I get rid of my TR4 for a Miata?  Hell, no!

Would I own a Miata?  If I wanted a modern sports car and didn't want to spend
the money for a JAG, Corvette, Porsch, BMW or Ferrari etc. why not?

 MHO - before all the B.S. Miata bashing starts.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner/factory pickup/1st car ever owned)

PS - I didn't say anything about attitudes of owners of Miata's and LBC's.
That's a whole other bucket o' bolts.  amk