Re: How does a TR-6 compare to a Miata?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How does a TR-6 compare to a Miata?
From: Mark Clark <clarkm@OIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 08:42:22 -0800 (PST)
  I've driven both, and the Miata feels very much like a LBC.  It handles
as well or better than the Triumph, and straight line performance is
similar (for the American carburated TR-6).  The ride is more comfortable
and rattle-free, but that is to be expected given its more modern chassis.
It also has the Japanese virtues of reliability, though I understand the
early cars did not take well to standing for long periods (month or more)
since they drained and destroyed their very expensive non-standard battery
in the trunk.

  However, the Miata does have some downsides.  Its size is more like the
old Midget I had - the trunk is small compared to a TR-6, and the
passenger compartment is too small for folks much over 6 ft.  They are
also far more complex under the hood - but that is true for all modern
cars.

  I like both, but since I can't fit in a Miata, I'll just have to keep my
TR-4, I suppose.

Dr. Mark Clark
Oregon Institute of Technology