Re: Elec Fans vs Efficiency

To: "Bwfox" <Bwfox@aol.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Elec Fans vs Efficiency
From: "Craig & Karen Bentley" <mmbent@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 22:24:27 -0500
Another reason for the widespread use of electric fans is emissions.
Manufacturers have found that running engines at much hotter temperatures
helps in the reduction of them darned ozone depleters. It is not at all
uncommon for a modern engine to run at temperatures above 220deg F. Of
course at these temps it is very important not to let them get too hot and
the use of an efficiently designed fan allows the engines to run within
probably 5-10 deg. of their best emissions output temperature. Of course
then the engineers found out that if they ran them much hotter then the
emissions of NOX (probably the worst of the big 3 bad gases) went through
the roof.  For what its worth both VW and Audi have both started using belt
driven viscous (SP) coupling fans along with electric fans side by side. I
dont think that cost was the reasoning for this as the coupling and related
bearings to make the thing work price out to over $500.00  and the great
debate rages on........................  Craig