RE: Stinky ol' Spitfire #3 (fuel pump)

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Stinky ol' Spitfire #3 (fuel pump)
From: Gernot Vonhoegen <gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 11:52:32 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

> ----------
> When I drove
> the car on it's first extended trip, it was obvious that was a
> mistake.
> The thing had sat for so long that the diaphragm in the pump let go
> about 10 miles away from home. >
Never heard of that before, usually they die of pitted points.
>  <I managed to limp back and went to the
> auto parts store and bought a replacement.  It is a universal electric
> pump that i mounted just below the tank.  It works very well but has
> that annoying click,click,click that anybody with one will recognize.>
That is a matter of taste I rather like the clicking, then I know A)
there's enough fuel in the bowl and b) the pump is working properly and
c) there's no leak in the fuel system

        <One precaution, if you do add one to your system be sure to
install a
> pressure regulator between the pump and the carbs.  The pumps put out
> far too much pressure for your average LBC carbs.  (I have mind
> adjusted
> to about 2.5 psi)  The pump I have is rated at 15 psi.>

        Which means you have a fuel injection pump I think.
        Gernot