RE: Deposit on car - non lbc

To: "'jbonina@nectech.com'" <jbonina@nectech.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Deposit on car - non lbc
From: Nomad <nomad@inet.att.co.kr>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 23:17:44 +0900
My first thought is ... take the money and run!  However, the litigious
side of me raises it's ugly head and asks, "did you put in writing, and did
he sign, an agreement, that is a 'contract', that says he forfeits his
deposit if he doesn't come up with the balance due in the allotted time?"
 If the answer is yes, and your state, province, etc, laws allow such a
contract, he's toast!  Of course, what you really should do it spend the
$400 on a real good lawyer to determine if you have a case ...    :)
===========================
     I took a deposit of $400 4 weeks ago from a buyer. He told me he would
     be back with the balance of $3000 in 2 weeks. In writing, I gave him 3
     weeks to come back. 5 days before the 3 weeks was up he called to ask
     if he could come test drive it and he was going to bring another $2500
     leaving a $500 balance due; oh, he asked if he could have the title at
     that time also. (luckily, I declined to give it to him). That night he
     called an hour after he was supposed to be there and said he couldn't
     come for 2 more days. No problem, see ya in 2 days. 2 days later, 1
     1/2 hours after he was supposed to be at my house he called with "bad
     new". Yeah, you guessed it, he "couldn't" buy my car. It wasn't in his
     budget. I was a bit upset but didn't let him know. I told him I would
     call him back when I figured out what I was going to do. At the end of
     the conversation he said "If you have a hard time selling it, I will
     buy it" ??????

     While I waited 3 weeks for him to pay the balance of my price, I
     turned away 3 potential buyers and removed it from the local auto
     advertiser.

     What's the general consensus on how I should handle this situation?

     I've got my own idea but don't want to influence your opinions.

     Thanks,
     Jeff