Re: Arkay turbos for tr6, tr7

To: Jason Clark <gjclark@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu>
Subject: Re: Arkay turbos for tr6, tr7
From: Barry Kray <lakeside@triton.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 16:44:36 -0600
Cc: tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jason, in 1980 I installed the Kastner Turbo Kit.  I ran alcohol injection
through the weber on boost pressure over 4lbs.  Mixed Octane booster and mixed
reg. leaded with premium unleaded 50/50 at each fill-up.  The kit was
available with a tame <sane> 4lb waste gate spring.  I opted for a 10 lb
spring.  The sound that thing made when under full pressure still makes my
heart pound and a big smile comes easy.  It blew up around every 5000 miles,
which often coincided with the end of summer anyway.  I was 21 and DROVE THE
HELL OUT OF IT!!!.  But it didn't have to be that way.  I think with the
moderation which comes with gasp - age.  The turbo and tr7 could be a dream
combo.  Regrettably, when down building the engine for reliability the last
time, several key components went into the trash, Though I still have the
turbo.   Wait a second  Let me go to the garage.....

10 min later..  ah yes here it is  date 4-17-81 paid 1495.$us for the kit
Arkay,Inc.

>From Arkay literature,  "the Arkay kits are designed and tested by kas kastner
who was triumphs competition manager for years and the author of the tuning
manuals offered by the factory..."   the "stock" kit  -  5 spd. 0-60 7.2
sec     0-80 13.8 sec

with my modifications, which included porting & polishing the head and a
Huffaker engineering ST cam & Dual valve spring kit.  Even had a fuel cooler
can hooked up.  Basically every hot rod trick I could think of  She did 0-60

I have been unable to find any current info on the fate of the company.  If
you find out anything PLEASE let me know.

Barry Kray
80 DHC