Re[2]: Tierods

To: Bob <rlmcneit@cpis.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, blang@mit.edu
Subject: Re[2]: Tierods
From: jbonina@nectech.com
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 08:18:08 -0400
     The rebuilt steering rack was purchased from TRF. It appears that the
     wrong tie rod ends were installed on the rack by TRF; I'm not 100%
     sure of this. The solution was to purchase new tie rods.

     It seems the TRF tie rod's taper was too small. IOW, you could put the
     tie rod in the hole and it would slip in all the way. Normally, I'm
     told, you have to pull the tie rod in by tightening the nut.
     Conversely, you could also pull the tie rod out of the hole by hand,
     no whacking, no funky tools.

     The same mechanic who installed the steering rack with 'holy crap, my
     tied rod fell out, tie rods in it, is the same one who just installed
     the new tie rods. Frankly, I don't trust the guy and will never do
     business with him again. So, I will show it to another referenced
     mechanic for his opinion.

     Jeff
     '73 TR6