RE: Alternator and Light

To: "'Tony Rhodes'" <ARhodes@compuserve.com>, "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Alternator and Light
From: jaltman@altlaw.com
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 06:51:19 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Charge and discharge is not the condition that makes the light glow.
Yesterday there was an excellent note on the difference between volts, amps
and ohms.  The light comes on when there is a voltage difference between
alternator and battery indicating a fault in the system, either alt or bat
is not producing enough volts.  Discharge occurs when the total system drain
exceeds the output of the alt.  Not enough amps.  The Lucas alternators were
about 28 amp output.  Draw 30 amps total usage in the car and the ammeter
will indicate discharge, even though both are producing the right voltage
and the lil light is not on.  The battery will be adding the extra current
required to run the system, hence, discharging.

This is why many of us replace the alt with another unit from GM or Bosch or
whoever, to get more amps out.  I have a Nissan alternator that is capable
of 55 Amps, I can run the lights, the heater, the turn signals and the
radio, all at the same time without discharge.

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/metro/jaltman.html    69-TR6#CC28754L  W4UCK