Re: Dumb Question (leaded fuel)

To: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Dumb Question (leaded fuel)
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 08:36:05 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>I had an Idea, maby not feasable, but I am going to lap-in the valves,
>heat to about 300 degrees centigrade, and mealt some solder, or lead
>around them,, lap in abit more to take off the excess.
Sorry, good idea, and your thinking is in the right place, just the
materials aren't the right ones.  The lead that we are all referring to is
not actually *lead* per-say but a compound abbreviated "lead".  It's
actually (excuse spelling and I may not have the exact nomenclature if you
know feel free to jump in here, not a chemist, I just play one on TV) Tetra
ethyl lead.  EXTREMELY toxic, and one of the reasons, aside from the fact
that it destroyed the function of catalytic converters, it was eliminated
from use.  It worked inside the combustion chambers because of the high
heat generated thereby causing this material to deposit itself on the
internal components, as well as exhaust pipes, manifolds, mufflers, roads,
etc.  Just one of those unfortunate by-products :-)

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle, getting a V6 soon!)