POR15

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: POR15
From: Ct54531 <Ct54531@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 10:13:18 EDT
To the list:

I know that POR15 has been talked to death but, like so many others, I didn't
take notes because I hadn't taken the body off yet. Now I have. With delight I
saw that the frame is in as good a shape as I thought - maye even better. I
purchased this 65TR4A in 1981 from a DPO (in this case please read the "D" as
dedicated or determined) - who had done the best he could given the lack of
parts and resources in the 70's when he was preserving this car. He crafted
stainless steel rocker panels and welded joints, etc some of which have given
rise to problems but which overall show a committment to preserving this car
against the odds. Anyway, the frame is so black and well preserved that I
think he did something back then. For those who like to assume the worst of
questioners - no, it's not just a coat of black paint. I've sanded down to the
metal in places to check and it's so solid I'm ecstatic.
Finally the question: POR15 sounded so good, it's been my intention to use it
when I reached that point. If I recall correctly, I have to get everything off
and apply it to bare metal. Correct?
Should I?
A small part of my reluctance is conservation of effort (laziness) but mostly
it's an 'if it ani't broke don't fix it" state of mind.
Would it do any good to put the POR15 over what's there? Is there another
product that would be better to apply over whatever is there?
FYI - the frame is not 100% rust free. There are a copule of very small spots
where it shows which will be obliterated and replaced and treated. But
overall, what's the best way to go on this?