Re: Trunnions????

To: Nikki MW1 <NikkiMW1@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Trunnions????
From: Thomas Howard <thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 09:49:21 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 11:43 AM 4/17/98 EDT, you wrote:

>Listers,
>I don't mean to sound dumb (but I am a blonde) (be nice).  But what is a
>trunnion?
>TIA
>Nikki
>Let the blonde jokes commence!

It is the brass, swivel bit that is on the end of the bottom "A" arm of the
front suspension.

It has a threaded hole in the top that the upright bit screws into.   there
is also a horazontal hole that takes a bush and a bolt to attatch it to the
"A" arm.   When you steer the car the trunnion turns on the threaded shaft
of the upright and makes a small geometry shift in the suspension.

The main function is to provide for movement of the front wheels both up
and down as well as left to right.   (This function is now gotten from a
ball joint in most cars.)

Tom Howard
'72 GT6 (and a good bit of USA iron)
Lakeside Union School District