wiring question

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: wiring question
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 13:40:09 -0600
I recently posted a question to the list about the benefits of allowing
engine oil pressure to build before actually firing up the engine vs.
letting it build up once the engine is actually started. Thanks to the
desirable action and I thus wish to be able to (easily) control it.

I would therefore like to add the following modification to my TR6's
wiring and am seeking the wisdom of the list to point out any potential
errors in my assumptions.

In order to allow the starter to turn the engine but avoid starting it
(especially now with the Ignitor installed ;-} ), I wish to add an
in-car switch to control power to the coil. Since I have the Lucas sport
coil hooked up to the white terminal of my fusebox already, my plan
involves simply running this wire from the fusebox to a switch in the
car and then from the switch out to the coil. When the switch is "on"
the coil gets power, when "off" the coil gets no power but the starter
will still turn the engine.

So a few questions come to mind...

1. Is the setup as described appropriate or am I really missing
something and greatly oversimplifying the problem?

2. What type of switch is best to use? I have considered a spring loaded
push button switch which is normally "on" and goes to "off" when the
button is pressed. That way the default behavior is "normal" but if I
want to cut power to the coil I just press the button and crank away
until my oil pres. gauge shows pressure.

Alternatively I could use a toggle or rocker switch and possibly use the
switch as a simple theft prevention device (although I realize this is
not foolproof).

3. What should the ratings of the switch be? Any minimum current? I
assume 12 volt is adequate. Any other ratings to consider?

4. Any other words of wisdom from anyone on the list about this topic?

Looking forward to opinions/experiences. Greatly appreciated, as always.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada