Re: Valve clearances - OHC

To: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Subject: Re: Valve clearances - OHC
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 02:52:42 -0400
Cc: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Allen Nugent wrote:
> Over Easter, I measured the valve clearances. Most of my inlets were .002"
> to .003" under spec (I had all of them +/- .001" when I assembled the head
> on the bench!).

  This difference might be accounted for by the difference between
setting the clearances with a tool versus will feeler gauges.

  Of course, perhaps not with that crazy engine. It's the dishing
of the rocker arms that makes the readings diverge, but it sounds
like you have no rocker arms on the inlet side.

> BTW - this is a Dolomite Sprint engine. For those listers unfamiliar with
> it, it is a 4-cyl, 2-litre (same block as TR7), 16-valve SOHC. The cam
> drives the inlets directly, via cam buckets, but employs rocker arms for the
> exhaust valves, so that each cam lobe actuates both an inlet and an exhaust
> valve (which I think is pretty damn clever!)

  ...the same lobe works both valves? Doesn't that limit them to having
the same contour?

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/