Re: Gas Odor In The Garage - 1966 TR4A

To: Triumph News Group <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, Tom Winslow <tom_winslow@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Gas Odor In The Garage - 1966 TR4A
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 22:20:12 -0700
Tom Winslow wrote:

> I have noticed that when the TR4A is closed in our garage, we smell the odor
> of gasoline. I do not see any leaks. Has anyone experienced this problem
> before? Anyone have a suggestion as to where would be the best place to look
> first?
>
> I am new to the list and am a new TR owner (this weekend).
>
> Thanks,
>
> TW
>
> --
> Thomas P. Winslow
> 189 Hicks Creek Road, Troutman, NC  28166
> h704-528-5868 * f704-528-5868 * p704-878-1157
> E-Mail: winslow@vnet.net * tom_winslow@msn.com
> Iredell County GenWeb Home Page: http://www.iredell.com

Funny... same situation for me... TR 4A...

I suspect a slow leak...  I have seen gasoline leaks that seem to just
come out in a slow dripless leak...   usually forming a gummy mess on
the tank... and maybe below... where it MAY have managed to drip...

I suggest you pull your boot's fuel tank cover... and rub a hand around
the tank... and inspect the floor below the tank... etc...

This is what I need to do with mine... but I haven't had an
opportunity.... working long hours.

I do not think it's normal...  gasoline does create vapors in a garaged
situation... but they only become "strong" when it's leaking... this has
been my experience...

Anyways... I'd be curious to hear what you find...

On another note...

when I did a quick restoration of my current driver... which had sat for
20 years +... I cleaned out the fuel tank... which had a sludge below
it...   I found that the inside of the tank had a thick sludge in it
too.... when I cleaned this away... I found the bottom of the tank
looked like the MILKY WAY when held up to light and viewed through the
filling hole!!!    The only reason it didn't leak like mad was the
sludge!   the tank was a lost cause... I got another one from a parts
car!

--Justin