Re: tr6 ripoff!!! help

To: CCampb8169 <CCampb8169@aol.com>
Subject: Re: tr6 ripoff!!! help
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 01:56:07 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
CCampb8169 wrote:

> I recently bought a 71 tr6 for 1300 dollars that I thought was the deal of the
> century. Surprise!!! Thje frame is rusted beyond repair and the motor smokes.
> Does anyone have a 71 parts car they would like to sell and does anyone know
> what causes smoke from this kind of engine? Will I have to overhaul the whole
> engine? Help!! I am dying here. Cole

I wouldn't call this a major ripoff, these days. $1300 is pretty cheap
(yes, others have found them cheaper, but...). One can expect all sorts
of problems in a car that price--good, solid decently-running TR6s are
likely running, at the bottom of the price range, in the neighborhood of
$3500.

As for the frame, a parts car is probably necessary, but many of the
people here have described a fairly extensive list of repair parts for
the frame, and there are some specialty parts being made, I think, to
repair _and_ beef up problem areas.

If the engine is smoking badly, it is probably well-worn, and will need
repair. If the oil isn't changed, the rings wear, and an engine smoking
constantly likely has very worn rings. Look in a manual for the tests to
determine ring wear. If the smoke is predominantly on deceleration from
higher speeds, the valve guides may be worn. None of the older Triumph
engines came from the factory with valve stem seals, since they were
equipped with cast-iron guides, and Triumph probably felt that iron on
steel probably could use a little extra lubrication. (!)

By the way, I've similar problems with a GT6 I bought for around $1000.
I was told it was running, and had a recent valve job... wasn't told
that was a valve job on a worn-out engine. _Caveat emptor_. <smile>

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....