Re: Castrol Syntec in LBC's?

To: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Subject: Re: Castrol Syntec in LBC's?
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 21:13:17 -0700
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Gambony, Jim wrote:

> Howdy y'all!
>
> I'm sure this was probably beat to death before I joined the list...
>
>         What is the feeling on how good Castrol Syntec would be in a
> Triumph?  Anyone with "proven"
>         negative results?   Or comparison with regular GTX?

All the quite-correct comments about leakage aside, I only know of one
person who drives his car really hard who has used Syntec. A guy who
works for me runs a drag Mustang with a 460 big block, and the first
time he tried it, as he went through the lights and let off on the
throttle, the oil pressure went to zero for about a 1/4 second, but it
was enough to spin a rod bearing. Hard to come up with any rational
reason why that would happen, but he changed back to 20W-50 Castrol and
hasn't had a similar problem since, with no other changes.

Only thing I could think of is that with the throttles closed, the oil
is light enough to get pulled up and away from the pickup from a vacuum
surge.

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....