[Fwd: Re: Electric Fans / Crankshaft]

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Electric Fans / Crankshaft]
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 09:03:02 -0700
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 09:01:27 -0700
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
To: DLMAssoc@aol.com
Subject: Re: Electric Fans / Crankshaft

DLMAssoc@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 98-06-30 23:51:12 EDT, Dan Masters writes:
>
> << I may be all wet, but at least that's my opinion. Perhaps the TR3 uses a
>   totally different damper construction than nearly any other car ever made?
> >>

> I haven't seen anyone answer Dan's question directly yet.  The fact is, the
> TR3 and TR4 don't  have any damper at all.  There's a 6" steel "fan extension"
> that looks a little like a dumbbell, to which the fan bolts.  The pulley bolts
> to the other end and the crankshaft dog bolt attaches the whole thing directly
> to the crankshaft.  I don't frankly see how the fan could make much
> difference, although there are some small "balancing" pieces you're supposed
> to use to balance the fan.  I recently found an aluminum fan extension cast
> the same as the original steel piece, but without any holes for fan attachment
> at all.  It appears to be a Triumph racing product and was apparently designed
> to be used without a fan.
>
> Don Marshall
> '57 TR3   '63 TR3B   '63 TR4

I know of about 20 T/R 3'S that run just the elec fan on the front of the
radiator, with no fan extension or any factory fan on the engine at all.
The elec. fan has a thermostat (auto) and just about the only time it
comes on is in town stop and start, very, very seldom on the open road
does it run, and these cars are drivers not just for show. John in
Indiana probably puts 20 K per year on his, no fan or ext.