Bad vendor parts

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Bad vendor parts
From: <rtriplett@bjservices.com> (Richard Triplett)
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 98 8:54:23 CDT
Awhile back I read a thread re a brand new defective spark plug, and the
problems associated with tracking down that part.  Well it happened to me
recently, only this time it was a bad condenser that I had installed during
a tune up. Previously, the TR3 was missing on acceleration, so I did a
complete tune up; plugs, points, condenser, rotor, cap, and wires.  That
cured it...for about a month, when it started again to miss, only much
worse this time.  After a recheck of the gaps and timing, and replacing the
coil,  I decided it must be the carbs, but couldn't improve the problem
with tuning them, so went back to the ignition.  A check with my Fluke
Scopemeter and induction pickup coil confirmed that I was losing high
voltage at the coil, so I started replacing parts.  Luckily, the first
thing I replaced was the condenser, which completely cured the miss.  It's
never run better!  Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know IT CAN HAPPEN
TO YOU!!!

Richard Triplett
62 TR3A
78 Spitfire
85 XJ6 (now owned by my son, my concession to my wife who insisted that I
get her a "reliable car", I now drive my first rice burner, a 90 LS400.
Only when she lets me)