Re: Bad vendor parts

To: " (Richard Triplett)" <rtriplett@bjservices.com>
Subject: Re: Bad vendor parts
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 09:15:14 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
(Richard Triplett) wrote:

> Awhile back I read a thread re a brand new defective spark plug, and the
> problems associated with tracking down that part.  Well it happened to me
> recently, only this time it was a bad condenser that I had installed during
> a tune up. Previously, the TR3 was missing on acceleration, so I did a
> complete tune up; plugs, points, condenser, rotor, cap, and wires.  That
> cured it...for about a month, when it started again to miss, only much
> worse this time.  After a recheck of the gaps and timing, and replacing the
> coil,  I decided it must be the carbs, but couldn't improve the problem
> with tuning them, so went back to the ignition.  A check with my Fluke
> Scopemeter and induction pickup coil confirmed that I was losing high
> voltage at the coil, so I started replacing parts.  Luckily, the first
> thing I replaced was the condenser, which completely cured the miss.  It's
> never run better!  Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know IT CAN HAPPEN
> TO YOU!!!
>
> Richard Triplett
> 62 TR3A
> 78 Spitfire
> 85 XJ6 (now owned by my son, my concession to my wife who insisted that I
> get her a "reliable car", I now drive my first rice burner, a 90 LS400.
> Only when she lets me)

Dick, I think all of the "Big Three" had a very bad run on condensers the
past year, you are about the 6/7 that of know of recently. You must
remember these parts houses buy these a 1000 at a time so the selling
period can be very long some time, this is one of the best trip parts to
carry at all times, you just joined a long list of similar owners with
the same problem.