Transmission Woes

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Transmission Woes
From: "Robert Van and Ann Cross" <vancross@visuallink.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 17:56:42 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Listers,
You may (or may not) remember  my plea for help with my transmission.  It
occurred about two weeks ago.  Unbeknownst to me, I chipped a tooth on the
1st countershaft gear.  After it happened, I immediately turned to this list
for help.  The advice and assistance provided was fantastic.  Anyway, I'd
like to say thanks the following folks:
Ed woods -  for diagosing the problem and your advice about rebuilding,
John Lye and Sam Gentry - both of you guys recommended the same two shops,
Motorhead and Gassman Motors.  I talked to both and am having a TR4
transmission rebuilt by Gassman Motors to put in my TR3,
Rich Rock and Bruce Clough -  Thanks for your valuable advice as to how to
put a TR4 transmission in a TR3.  Your suggestions are much appreciated.

I do , of course have one more question for the list.  I took the
transmission out of the car today without any difficulty.  Looking at the
clutch and pressure plate, they don't look very worn at all.  The car was
totally restored around 20,000 miles ago.  Any advice on whether or not to
replace these items.  I really wouldn't mind saving the $240  it cost for
them, but I don't want to have to do this again anytime soon.  I probably
put 2,000 mile on the car each year.  The throw out bearing will be
replaced.  That goes without saying.

Thanks Again,
Bob Van   60TR3  56408L