Ominous noise - any diagnosis?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Ominous noise - any diagnosis?
From: Cliff Hansen <chansen@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 18:14:35 -0400
Hi all,

I've been enjoying my car long enough that something like this
was bound to crop up.  When decelerating in gear I hear a
metallic buzz, lasts about a second, and to me sounds like
something round on a shaft that's a little too large, and vibrating.
Its not a squeal or a clunk, nor a rattle, its too high frequency to
describe as a rattle.  My suspicion is the throw-out bearing, but
I don't get any of the other symptoms I would expect.  I have no
bearing noise when idling in neutral, no squealing when engaging
or disengaging the clutch.  I do have a very high-pitched whine that
comes and goes, sounds to me very much like a pilot bushing but
the 4A doesn't have one of these.

I don't know how old the clutch is.  The car had been parked for
several years before I bought it last summer, and I haven't been
in there.  I don't have any trouble shifting.  I guess its possible
that the bearing has dried out while the friction plate is still fine.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Cliff Hansen
chansen@exis.net
1966 TR-4A CTC 64615L