Re: Stag brake question

To: Bruce Krobusek <BruceKro@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Stag brake question
From: "James H. Davis, Jr." <jhdavis@fiac.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 10:42:54 -0400
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Bruce,
I've rebuilt 10 or 12 TR6 brake m/c's over the years and in every case they
started leaking again after 6-12 months. Maybe that says more about my ability
as a rebuilder than the general life expectancy of rebuilds, but in the last
few years I've just paid the high price of a new m/c and found they are good
for at least 5 or 6 years. At the risk of starting the DOT4-5 controversy
again(let's don't, please), my personal experience has been that silicone
gives a firmer pedal and less leakage. I'd replace the m/c and wheel cylinders
and thoroughly flush the system with DOT4 or 5. This would also be a great
time to rebuild your calipers and replace the shoes. Then you can have the
peace of mind that your brake  system will be safe and effective for another
5-10 years.
These comments are made from a TR6 perspective, as I have no experience with
Stags.
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO