Stag brake question

To: Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Stag brake question
From: Bruce Krobusek <BruceKro@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 09:17:47 -0400
Listers:

Towards the end of our first day trip with the wife's Stag (aka the Exxon
Valdez) I noticed that the brakes got soft in traffic. For instance, if we
were creeping in traffic, constantly partially letting off the brake but
never
quite fully releasing it, the brake pedal slowly sunk to the floor. If I
released the brake pedal completely the typical "hardness" returned.

I suspected air or water in the lines (the fluid looked awful!), so I
flushed
and bled the lines. However, the problem still exists. I'm now beginning
to suspect the master cylinder as I've heard (at least for TR6s) that
the brake fluid could creep around one of the M/C seals and move from
one part of the M/C to the other.

There is no sign of fluid loss, nor are there any signs of leaks at the
individual brakes.

Comments? Suggestions? Is this time for a new M/C, or will a rebuild
kit do?

Thanks!

     Bruce

      Bruce A. Krobusek