East African Safari Triumph 2000 Rally Car

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: East African Safari Triumph 2000 Rally Car
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 16:51:18 +0100
Cc: "Gary Blake" <garyb@fast.co.za>, "Chris Leah" <crl@intekom.co.za>
Early next week, I am visiting the new owner of one of two Mk1 2000 Saloons
which competed as a Leyland East Africa official 'works' entry in the in
the 1968 EASR. The car in question finished in 3rd place overall. It's
partner was forced to retire.
The car is undergoing extensive re-work and preparation for the
Paris-Marrakech Rally and the Classic Circuit of Ireland in the autumn of
'98. I hope to be the navigator on the Irish event.
I need the combined thinking of the list. We know this car was fitted with
15" non-vented centre plate wheels in place of the standard 13" units and
TR6 units do not fit in the rear wheel housings. Does anyone have knowledge
/ ideas / suggestions of contemporary wheels which would be suitable? The
centre-plate offset is obviously critical and there is just a chance this
type of wheel might have originally been sourced through the Triumph
assembly plant in South Africa. Any listers south of the equator got their
ice-packs ready?

John Macartney

"Life at Triumph" in print - unique pictures and lots more. See info at
http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/triumphbook
ORDER LINE STAYS OPEN UNTIL SEPTEMBER 30, 1998.
You can order your book through:

CANADA   Bri. Col. Triumph Registry:        michael_bayrock@bctransit.com
NEW ZEALAND   Ashley Southgate:         ashleys@es.co.nz
UK   THE AUTHOR:                                 jonmac@ndirect.co.uk
UK  Triumph 2000 2500 2.5PI Register:      t2000@compuserve.com
UK  Triumph Sports Six Club:                   bernard@tssc-hq.demon.co.uk
USA   Vintage Triumph Register:               HHUMM53@aol.com
The book will NOT be available from shops - only from the Author and Agents