Independence Day Greetings from Canada

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Independence Day Greetings from Canada
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 17:17:00 -0500
Listers of the US of A...

Happy Independence Day tomorrow!

We have just celebrated our Canada Day this past  Wednesday.   Amongst
the things I did (besides domestic duties, etc) was to open a book of
Canadian history I purchased at a garage sale for $0.20.

I did not realize its' signifigance.  <underline>The History of
Canada</underline> by Archer, as published for the New Brunswick School
Series, is a small book that looks old.  I thought nothing of it.

It turns out it was  publishd in 1875,  just seven years into our country
as we know it.  There are small notations in the back cover of a former
owner dating to 1899.  ...and I thought my cars were old!!

An interesting reflection on the times in this age of  "political
correctness", just as we look at our cars against modern vehicles and
muse at the idiocy(?!?) of some of the design and materials used.

"At the time of discovery, of America,  Canada was an un-broken
wilderness, on whose skirts dwelt tribes of savages....It was a country
fitted t make the people who first attempted to settle in it  bold,
adventurous, hardy, but disinclined to steady industry:  the savage
denizens gave them no peace, and left them no option but to become
soldiers: the necessities of living made them hunters and fishers.  Their
life was reduced to the rudest elements." (p.447-448).

Hmmmmm?

And today we live in perhaps the two greatest countries in the world,
albeit the newest.  Is it not amazing to look back at where we have been,
and where we might go?

Happy Holiday

Dave T

Dave Terrick