Re: Tach befudlement

To: jaltman@altlaw.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tach befudlement
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 18:24:42 EDT
In a message dated 98-07-03 17:13:46 EDT, jaltman@altlaw.com writes:

> Tach reads about 50% high. I have replaced
>  the cable, tried another tach, which also read about 50% high. Today I had
>  the distributor off for other reasons and inspected the drive takeoff and
>  all is well there. Its a simple worm gear and I can't see any opportunity
>  introduce error there.

Jim,

Assuming that both tachs are correct for your car, the only other thing they
have in common is the drive gear. Could it be that you have an incorrect
distributor? It may be that even though it fits, it was meant for another car,
and uses a different drive gear. Or, possibly, the drive gear was replaced by
a PO with the wrong gear.

If you have access to another TR6, you might compare the two. Perhaps if you
can give the gear count to the list, someone may be able to check for you. I
have a spare '75 TR6 distributor, and I would be glad to look into it when I
get back to TN.

Dan Masters,
Atlanta, GA (for the weekend - spoiling my grandson again)