RE: It's Summer Time (and the Livin' is Easy...)

To: "'maineac'" <maineac@gateway.net>
Subject: RE: It's Summer Time (and the Livin' is Easy...)
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 18:54:31 -0600
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
> I can't seem
> to get the
> idle below 1500 rpm.  Actually, if I push the throttle levers
> with a screw
> driver, I can get the idle to ~ 800, but once I "goose it" the idle
> returnds to the 1500 range.  I think the throttle butterflies
> and shafts
> aren't closing all the way to the "stops".

I would check to make sure the linkage is not binding. Press down on the
linkage between the carbs. It should go down smooth and easy, no excessive
force.

Common points of "tightness" are the ball and socket joints (easily
dismantled and lubricated) and the big shouldered bolt attached to the bell
crank lever. I would lubricate these points - grease for the ball and
sockets if you take them apart, WD40 for the shouldered bolt. If you take
apart the ball and sockets, make sure you don't lose the distance settings
between the various points of the linkage.

Another potential point for the binding is the bushings which the
accelerator pedal shaft passes through. Perhaps these are missing on your
car? They are a semi-hard plastic compound. Pretty easy to replace if you
have spares, or just spray some WD40 in there (not too much).

HTH,

--- Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO  Calgary,Canada ---