Re: Oil

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Oil
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 20:38:20 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 4 Jul 1998, Rick Taylor wrote:

> I am ready to change the oil in the TR4a and I am wondering what oil to
> use.  I know the books recommend Castrol GTX, but what grade?  Do I use
> 20W50 or 10W40?  Any insight will be helpful.

Don't get hung up on the brand name.  Any brand that meets or exceeds API
service rating "SH" or "SJ" will do just fine.  Look for the API seal on
the container. I use Castrol, but only because it's an old British name
and just somehow seems "right".  Never mind the fact that the Castrol we
get here in the States is made here in the States.

As for viscosity, even the experts can't agree on what to feed older cars.
The tendency in modern cars is toward lighter oils than were called for
when our BritCars were new.  That's partly due to advances in metallurgy
and lubrication technology, partly due to fuel economy requirements
(lighter oil = less drag). Your engine's needs should be determined by the
way you drive and how worn the engine is, and that's a big enough subject
to fill a book.

Personally, in my BritCars I still prefer SAE20W-50 in hot weather, SAE
10W-40 in cold weather.  But then my driving style tends toward the "Damn
the RPMs, full speed ahead" school with lots of highway miles. If your
driving tends more toward the putter around town school where the oil
rarely gets really hot, you might be better off with 10W-40 or even
10W-30.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net