TR6 Mains (long)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 Mains (long)
From: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@feist.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 1998 22:09:20 -0500
Just finished a most productive couple of days laying under the TR6.
Replaced the main bearing shells, thrust washers, and oil pump.  I also
installed one of the Mocal adapters and a spin-on filter.  Incredible
difference - oil pressure now!!!!!!!!  To those who need to do this -
but have dreaded it as I did - all went without a problem due, I
believe, to preparation!  If you can believe it, I did not have one leak
upon starting and driving after the work was completed.

Now for a couple of comments/questions...

1.  After much research, I finally decided to pass up a quicker source
for my bearing shells and order from the "fellas in Pennsylvania", after
reading about the Vandervell Bearings they carry - and reasons why.
After paying for 2nd day air, the package arrives and you guessed it -
they weren't Vandervell bearings!  So much for that one...

2.  My mocal adapter fit and sealed well, except I'm pretty sure I still
don't have a good seal on the smaller o-ring (even using the larger of
the two).  After an hour on the road, my oil pan is too hot to touch,
but the filter is warm/hot, but still touchable.  I'm assuming the oil
is not being properly sent through the filter.  It looks to me like a
thinner large, outer gasket would help in my case - I have the adapter
torqued down at 18 ft.lbs., but it still won't quite seal the inner
o-ring.  Any comments/suggestions??

3.  The real blessing out of this project concerns the other problem
solved as a result of dropping the pan.  Found no thrust washers in
there, but did find a small phillips "set screw" that was about 3/8"
long.  After much research in the parts manuals/diagrams, I determined
it was the locating screw for the rocker shaft assembly.  And sure
enough, pulled the valve cover and no screw in the shaft.  So, replaced
the screw (with loctite) and adjusted all of the rockers, and I now have
a significantly quieter valve train that is functioning like it's
supposed to.

If any comments on the oil filter adapter, let me know.  Thanks.

Martin Libhart
1972 TR6
1970 Spitfire