Shifting Problems - 74 TR6

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Shifting Problems - 74 TR6
From: Edward Hutchinson <seah@zorba.info.sunyit.edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 11:09:05 -0400
I am having problems shifting into specific gears on my 74 TR6. It is
difficult to shift into first gear - I have to force the shift lever to get
it into first gear. Second is fine. Third is a problem - if I shift from
second to third I have to ease the shift lever into position or the gears
will grind. Downshifting into third is even trickier. After pushing in the
clutch (to the wall), I have to wait until the rpms drop way down before
shifting. If I miss a little, the gears grind. Fourth gear isn't a problem.
Reverse is virtually impossible to shift into as the gears grind something
terrible. I have to shut the engine off in order to shift into reverse.
However, I can shift into reverse right after starting the engine but
before moving the car.

Mechanic has looked at the car, adjusted the clutch and seems to think the
clutch is OK. Also doesn't think it's the transmission.

I'm appealing to the collective wisdom of the list to see what other areas
should be explored.

Thanks,

Ed

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"There is always a lot to be thankful for if you take time to look
for it.  For example, I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that
wrinkles don't hurt."

Ed Hutchinson
Financial Aid Office
SUNY Inst. of Technology