Re: 1972 Stag

To: NadineCS@aol.com
Subject: Re: 1972 Stag
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 17:07:22 -0400 ()
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, Scions of Stag <stag@digest.net>
On Tue, 7 Jul 1998 NadineCS@aol.com wrote:

> I have a 72 Stag that has been off the road for 17 years. I don't know
> where to start but I am considering restoring it. I live in New York
> City. Do you have any ideas?

I am forwarding your message to two e-mail discussion lists. One is for
all models of Triumphs, and the other is just for the Triumph Stag. I'm
sure there will be a good number of helpful responses. There is also a lot
of information at <http://www.vtr.org/Stag/Stag.html>, the Stag section of
The Vintage Triumph Register web site.

For a car that has been stored for so long, you are likely to be faced
with some renovation or rebuilding of most systems in the car. Certainly
the brake and clutch hydraulics will need a complete overhaul. Assuming
the engine does still turn, it should probably have coolant and oil
changes, and probably some oil down the spark plug holes, before any
attempt is made to start it. Similarly, the fuel system will probably need
cleaning out.

Again, I'm sure you'll get lots of help from other folks online! Good
luck.

--Andy