TR3A Low Oil Pressure

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3A Low Oil Pressure
From: "M. W. Jordan, Jr." <mw_jordan@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 17:21:46 -0400
I have a 59 TR3A that I purchased out of a barn about 3 years ago.  It had been
sitting for about 7 years, but the sheet metal, frame engine and all seemed in
good
shape.  Several months work turned it into a runner.

But the oil pressure seems very low once it has been running for a while.  It
starts out about 60 lbs cold but after 20 miles or so will only show about 35-40
lbs at 3000 RPM, and drops t about 1-15 at idle.  The engine does not burn oil,
and
the engine temperature does not seem excessively high - usually runs about
160-180
when warmed up and maintains constant temp readings.

I suspect the main bearings are worn and could use replacement.  I have read
several comments about replacing with the engine in the car, but could use some
practical guidance here.  I would prefer not to pull the engine at the present
time, but will do so if the pain of dropping the oil pan and doing it from
below is
overwhelming.

Would appreciate the guidance of some who have done the task recently.  I am on
the
digest version, so email privately if you prefer.

Thanks

M. W. Jordan, Jr.
Marietta, GA