Regulator Troubles (old)

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Regulator Troubles (old)
From: "David Hill" <davehill@sgi.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 18:40:36 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
OOPS! I sent this to the wrong address last week so, here it is for
everyone.......

John,

I had a similar problem with my 59 TR3-A a few years ago (light basically
stayed on all the time) I checked the generator with a multi-meter per the
Haynes manual and it was reading bad.

I ordered a rebuilt generator and took it, along with the car, to one of our
club's events - The Annual Tune-Up Clinic.  This is a meeting where everyone
brings their car to a donated garage and everyone just helps everyone out
with a job or two.

Well, I spent most of the day changing the generator - !that thing is not
easy! - ahhh, my first real repair to the car since purchasing
it.........What satisfaction!  A job well done! This old car stuff isn't so
bad........etc. etc.

I fired her up and...................that d@mn light was still glowing!

I consulted some of the other club members and one of them (Ed Woods)
thought it was my regulator.  I have always stayed away from the regulator
for fear of screwing it up, but, he quickly pop'ed the cover, magically
produced a bit of very fine emery paper, cleaned the contacts, then used a
feeler gauge and re-set the gap.

We started it up and the light was faintly glowing at idle, off at any rpm
over 900. Perfect!  That put a big smile on my face.  Besides, those
batteries were getting expensive to replace;-)

I am unclear as to exactly what he did, I wish I could give you more info
but....adjustment to the regulator fixed my problem. (maybe Ed can chime in
if he reads this).

(Thanks again, Ed)

Regards,
David Hill (USA)