TR6 Charging Problem

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 Charging Problem
From: "St. Lupus" <st_lupus@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 15:17:55 -0600
Okay, I think I've calmed down enough to ask for help on this problem
without using any swear words.  Basically the problem is this:  Last Friday,
I replaced my points ignition on my 74 TR6 with a Crane electronic ignition.
It seemed to run beautifully, no hesitation and didn't miss once.  However
that night, while driving home I noticed that all the lights seemed pretty
dim and that the volt meter was rapidly dropping.  The solution was obvious,
drive w/o the lights and pray I made it home.  With the aid of a little luck
and a sympathetic policeman, I was able to coast the last few feet into my
parking spot.

Basically when running the car I am not getting any charge into the battery
at all.  The voltage across the battery drops when the car is running.  I've
spent the last week trying to figure out what the problem is and can't
figure the damn (oops there I go) thing out.  The obvious culprit was the
alternator (lucas 2 wire regulator), but having it rebuilt (twice) didn't
help at all. The Ign light comes on when the key is in the on position, but
goes off as soon as the car is started.

Please help!
Thanks