Re: More Front Suspension Questions

To: "Jerry" <lensman@erols.com>
Subject: Re: More Front Suspension Questions
From: "unicorn7" <unicorn7@mail.icnet.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 15:07:16 -0500charset="us-ascii"
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Greetings,
A book called Chassis Engineering gets pretty thorough with the whole
bushing issue, but the gist of it is that the stiffer the material, the less
deflection.  The problem with rubber is how much give it has in pretty much
every direction, the problem with urethane bushings is that even if you
grease them prior to installation, they will eventually start to bind as the
grease exits.  Your solutions are to either install grease fittings (this
will allow you to grease the joints periodically) and install urethane
bushings, or get nylon bushings (you'll probably have to talk to some
hard-core racers and be ready to spend some cash, they might have to be
custom made for your application).  According to CHASSIS ENGINEERING, nylon
bushings will give you the benefits of urethane, without the squeaks.  I
recommend you get your hands on the book (I've found it in a number of
larger book stores) and either buy it or at least read up on the section
about front and rear suspension before making a final decision.

Good Luck

Dave Korzun
'69 GT6+ with urethane bushings all around