pop goes the exhaust

Subject: pop goes the exhaust
From: "William West" <toad@nlights.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 14:21:38 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Hello everyone,

For the last couple of months my spit 1500 has been 'popping' when letting
off the throttle during shifting.  Thinking that I had a leak at my exhaust
manifold, I removed it, changed out the gasket (sealing the new one with
coppercoat) and put it back together.

I noticed that one exhaust port had a different color than the others. It
was gray. I assumed, of course, that here was the leaky mating surface.

The car did not do this prior to removing the head for a heli-coil job a few
months back. When I initially reassembled, I just used a new gasket never
giving thought to the fact that there was what appeared to be silicon
sealent on the mating surface between head and header on the original.  I
thought that the copper seal would stop the problem, but she's still is
popping.

Can anyone give me advice on where to go next? I was going to go out
tomorrow and run a bead of silicone around the header to see if that would
stop it.  Is it possible that something else is wrong?

Thanks in advance!
Will