Rear-end clonking

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rear-end clonking
From: Paul Nelson <dest@alltel.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 16:37:12 -0400
Cc: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
My recently acquired 80 Spitfire has clonking coming from the
differential area. At first I was quick to assume the u joint was
needing replaced, but now i'm not so sure. The noise clonks faster and
slower in correlation to my speed. When i accelerate  or power is
applied to the propeller shaft the noise is less, as opposed to
deceleration or when the clutch is depresssed during shifting when the
noise becomes more noticable.

I gave a it quick look and Between the propeller shaft and differential
flange there was no play, so i think the u joint may be ruled out. There
is however a bit of play(3/8 of an inch approx) when i just turn the
propeller shaft before the axle turns.
        There was a large amount grease on the differential but the level
seemed ok.
Any guidance and advice would be much appreciated.
                                        Thanks in advance, Paul
                                                           80 Spitfire