Re: Rear-end clonking

To: Paul Nelson <dest@alltel.net>
Subject: Re: Rear-end clonking
From: "Dennis F. Kimberlin" <dkimberl@ops.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 11:23:04 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Paul Nelson wrote:

> My recently acquired 80 Spitfire has clonking coming from the
> differential area. At first I was quick to assume the u joint was
> needing replaced, but now i'm not so sure. The noise clonks faster and
> slower in correlation to my speed. When i accelerate  or power is
> applied to the propeller shaft the noise is less, as opposed to
> deceleration or when the clutch is depresssed during shifting when the
> noise becomes more noticable.
>
> I gave a it quick look and Between the propeller shaft and differential
> flange there was no play, so i think the u joint may be ruled out. There
> is however a bit of play(3/8 of an inch approx) when i just turn the
> propeller shaft before the axle turns.
>         There was a large amount grease on the differential but the level
> seemed ok.
> Any guidance and advice would be much appreciated.
>                                         Thanks in advance, Paul
>                                                            80 Spitfire
Paul,
After getting mine 2 years ago, I had the same sound.  Did what you did
and found what you found, i.e. little or no play in the uj.  Still had
the sound, so bought the uj's and replaced them.  When I got the old
ones apart, they were corroded so bad there was no flexibility.  After
pulling the uj bearing caps, I found the little uj shafts that go into
the bearing caps had impressions from the bearings to the point that
they were corrugated.  Put it all back together and no more sound.
I kinda believe your uj's need looking into.
Good luck.  Let us know.
Dennis
75 SPIT
Omaha, NE