RE:

To: "'chammock@iquest.net'" <chammock@iquest.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE:
From: Victor Michael <vmichael@enteract.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 23:08:58 -0500
Cc: "TR3@triumph.cs.utah.edu" <TR3@triumph.cs.utah.edu>, "Exhaust@triumph.cs.utah.edu" <Exhaust@triumph.cs.utah.edu>, "Stud@triumph.cs.utah.edu" <Stud@triumph.cs.utah.edu>, "Removal@triumph.cs.utah.edu" <Removal@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Perry,

You will find that an "easy out" is a very, very useful tool!  It is a coarse
(swirly looking), reverse threaded bit which you can use manually with a
wrench (if the bolt is difficult), or with a drill.

You should be able to get at the broken end of the bolt with a drill bit, the
size I would say should be about 1/4 to 1/3 the size the bolt itself (as the
"easy out" should be). First, drill a hole into the broken end of the bolt
being careful not to angle it into to any sides, so you won't damage the
thread. You may have to guess at the depth, but you only need enough for the
"easy out" to fit into the hole enough to grab. Next, if you're using a
wrench, place the "easy out" bit into the hole and turn counter-clockwise so
it grabs the broken bolt and hopefully then by turning counter-clockwise the
end of the bit with the wrench, the bolt will back out.  If you're using a
drill (like I do, because my jobs are usually smaller); with the bit on the
drill, place the bit into the drilled hole and (hopefully you have a
reversible, variable speed drill with lots of power) begin slowly, so the bit
will grab and back the bolt out.

It's pretty simple. Hopefully I haven't wasted your reading time by
misunderstanding your dilemma.

Cheers,

Vic