Re: Re: Re : TR6 Charging Problem

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, st_lupus@email.msn.com
Subject: Re: Re: Re : TR6 Charging Problem
From: John Duhart <duhart@symbol.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 09:11:25 -0400
Hello,

 It is my understadning that the little brown wire that you have connected to
nothing is suppose to be a Battery Sense.

Later,
JHD IV

>>> "St. Lupus" <st_lupus@email.msn.com> 07/12 5:32 PM >>>

Ahgg! It'ce gorgeous out in Colorado and still no joy!
OK I went out and checked a few more things on the TR6.  Still haven't found
the problem, but I might have some more information that might be of help.

Here's the info on the problem again.  The stuff up top is the newest stuff.

1.)When I bought the car around a month ago the battery was charging.  About
2 weeks ago I think I noticed that the voltage gauge was running a little
lower (still was charging, still increased somewhat with engine speed), but
I attributed this to the stereo that I threw in. (the stereo is now totally
disconnected for testing purposes)

2.)The alternator originally had a Lucas three wire voltage regulator.

3.)After noticing the battery was not charging I had the alternator rebuilt.
After the rebuild it still had the 3 wire regulator.

4.)The battery still would not charge, and I think I shorted out something
while testing voltages coming off of the alternator. I had the thing rebuilt
again.  When I got it back it had a 2 wire regulator in it. (not sure if it
is a Lucas or not)

5.)Resistance between big brown wire (at the alternator) and the + terminal
= .1Ohms.

6.)Little brown wire (no stripe) has never been connected to the alternator
(since I bought the car).  I found it cocooned in electrical tape inside the
wireing harness.  Instead a couple of wires that ran to ground were hooked
up to the alternator.

7.) The little brown wire (disconnected) always shows battery voltage wether
the egine is idleing or running at speed.

8.) The battery is probably not an issue.  I replaced the TRs battery with
one out of my other car (brand new battery) and it still doesn't charge.
Engine off voltage:13.8  Engine on voltage 13.6

9.)When using the battery out of my other car, the engine cranks and starts
fine.

10.)I think the coil is ballasted.  It doesn't have a rectangular resistor
with two leads, like what has been described.  There is a green wire going
from a + terminal of the coil to a metal walled cylindrical device which is
bolted up against the engine block (no exiting wire).

12.) All fuses are in ok shape.   Running with or without the fuses
installed makes no difference on charging.

13.) Resistance between the + and - battery wires (battery disconnected,
alternator dis/connected) Key out: 50kOhms, Ign on:40kOhms

14.) Also noticed that the wires in the harness comming out of the firewall
directly underneath the hood latch (engine bay side) looked scortched. I
haven't looked at them too closely yet.

11.)I'm currently running with the points ignition setup again.

12.)The alternator (now on it's second rebuild) has tested out okay at the
Checker Auto test stand.

13.)I am out of nails to bite.  The top of my head now looks like it has
mange from pulling out my hair.

Jason Sherlock
Driving way to fast to worry about cholesterol in a:
'74 Triumph TR6 (currently running off of two AA batteries)
'88 Pontiac Grand Am (uglier than the average car)

                                                          !