Re: Re: Re : TR6 Charging Problem

To: "St. Lupus" <st_lupus@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Re : TR6 Charging Problem
From: Thomas Howard <thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 17:23:17 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 03:32 PM 7/12/98 -0600, you wrote:

>Ahgg! It'ce gorgeous out in Colorado and still no joy!
>OK I went out and checked a few more things on the TR6.  Still haven't found
>the problem, but I might have some more information that might be of help.
>
>Here's the info on the problem again.  The stuff up top is the newest stuff.
>
>1.)When I bought the car around a month ago the battery was charging.  About
>2 weeks ago I think I noticed that the voltage gauge was running a little
>lower (still was charging, still increased somewhat with engine speed), bu

Snip....

When you say that you have a two or three wire regulator, it that regulator
internal to the alternator or is a separate device?

It sounds like you only have the one large Brown wire connected to the
alternator?

Are any of the terminals on you Alternator marked?

There may be marked ground near the large brown wire.  It should go to
ground.

There may be one marked B+,  That should go to the hot small brown wire you
discribe.

The small brown/yellow wire is usualy the indicator wire and is connected
to the lamp on the dash.  This wire too is important as it provides a kick,
or trickle at times to get current flowing in the charge/regulator circuit
within the alternator.

If the thing bench test OK (and they are correct), it has an internal
requlator, the battery is OK.... then the ONLY thing left is the wiring on
the car.   The .10 ohms on the big brow one sounds OK within mesuring
limits of your meter.

Take a close look at that unused small brown one.   Look for that B+
designation on the alternator on a small spade connector.  (Do you have a
manual/diagram of your cars wiring?)

Tom Howard
'72 GT6 (and a good bit of USA iron)
Lakeside Union School District