TR4 tranny/rear end noise

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR4 tranny/rear end noise
From: Dennis Barr <tr357@cdsnet.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 21:21:24 -0700
I need advice please: Yesterday I drove my 1/2 completed TR4 around the
block as a little shake down cruise. I started hearing a clunk, clunk,
clunk noise, and the tranny wanted to pop out of second gear. I drove
very slowly home.
Tonite, I put the car up on blocks, started it and ran through the
gears. Some noise, but not the rythmic clunk, and it stayed in gear.
A few minutes ago I disconnected the drive shaft( newly rebuilt) and did
the same test. No noise, and all gears shifted and seemed worked well.
Is this a good method of starting to wring out the problem, or am I
heading in the wrong direction. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Dennis Barr  trying to be a TR4 driver !