Bad Paint Job

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Bad Paint Job
From: smith007@mindspring.com (Phil Smith)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 08:53:02 -0500
October 1996, I had a minor mishap with my TR6, took it too one of the
local Gurus(British Cars) to be fixed.Since the Insurance company agreed to
repair the car, which amounted to front valance,one front fender and hood,
and paint the car, I decided that I didn't want to put a paint job on old
metal, I replaced the other front fender, trunk lid, and one rear fender,
inner and outer rocker panels and since I was schedualed already to rebuild
the engine, I had him pull the engine only, and decided to repaint the car
a different color, which entailed bead blasting everything. He tells me how
much extra, I agree, pay him part of the $ up front. We have nothing in
writing. So he decides to paint the trunk and engine compartment at his
shop before he sends the car out to be professionaly painted. He had fired
his body guy by this time.The guy who paints the car goes out of business.
Then the guy I took the car to moves to another shop , and in the move
damages the paint on the hood, deep paint chips.So now the engine
compartment looks like crap, he gets this other guy to repaint the engine
compartment and repair dammage to hood. I go over there the other day to
take a look, they're putting on the bumpers etc, and I get a good look and
the car with out 2 inches of shop dust and there's actually a little light
to see the car, the trunk hood is up and I discover that the trunk henges
are a light green instead of BRG, also up and down both sides of the car,it
looks like during the painting process someone took a tooth pick and poked
the car a dozen places. I ask him what's up with the toothpick marks, and
this guy actually acts like he's trying hard not to tell me off, and
informs me that he's not going to repaint the car that buffing the car
should take out about 80% of the tooth pick marks? Help, Help,Help, any
suggestions on what recourse I might have.

  Phil Smith
    69 TR6
    85 Mustang GT Convertible
    " More Dreams Than Money"