Re: Clutch Fluid

To: drew@pixar.com
Subject: Re: Clutch Fluid
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 10:48:58 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Tue, 14 Jul 1998 drew@pixar.com wrote:

> It looks like I'm going to do a rebuild of the clutch master and slave
> on my 3A and I was wondering if it's ok to use one of those hones with
> the three stones on the aluminum cylinders? Any advice on how to go
> about cleaning up the cylinder bores would be appreciated.

I didn't use a hone as I didn't have one small enough to fit the bore.
However the aluminum is quite a soft alloy, so if you do use a hone, make
sure you have the finest grit stones possible, and don't do too much!
Just a light pass to take of the glazing will be enough.

I used a piece of 400 grit sandpaper on the end of my finger and swirled
it inside the bore.  I didn't have any pitting problems though.

You can also stick the sandpaper onto a suitably-sized dowel and hone it
that way.  Use brake fluid to remove the swarf during and after honing.

-Malcolm