Re: Bare metal pre-treatment

To: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: Bare metal pre-treatment
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 10:45:11 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 14 Jul 1998 JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com wrote:

>      It will be a while before this car sees paint (like a year, he thinks,
>      highly optimistically...); what should I coat this new bare metal with
>      in the interim? I've seen lots of cars waiting for paint with primer
>      on them, and with the rust showing through the primer, so I wonder if
>      that's really the way to go. I have seen "cold galvanizing" spray, but
>      I don't know if that would need some special primer before paint, like
>      galvanized metal would.

I use "Zinc Mate", which is just a spray bomb of Zinc paint.  The can says
95% pure zinc is inside, and I beleive it... if it sits for too long you
have to shake the dickens out of it to get it to spray like paint.

It runs quite a bit and the nozzle tends to clog.  But once it works, it
goes on, and I haven't seen any rust (yet!)

Other trade names are "Galva Froid" and "GalvaCon"  (Galva Froid may be
different)

There are no problems applying (laquer) primer and primer-surfacer over
this paint.  Whatever you get, be SURE to test it on some scrap metal
BEFORE putting it on the car!!

I also use Tremclad/Rust Coat/Armor Coat (depending on brand) rust paint
to cover up anywhere on the car that won't receive a finish coat (like the
inside of the fenders)-- I will not be painting the entire car body color,
as stock.  The inner fenders will be undercoated, so it won't matter what
color they are.

>      2. I also have new rockers, once they're in place the insides of them
>      won't get painted, so should I "cold galvanize" inside them, or what?
>      I've used "Rust Destroyer" (something like POR-15) on the inner sills,
>      but on the inside of the rockers there's very little rust to destroy,
>      so far.

Do it!  Most Rust eaters don't work well on clean metal- if you put Rust
Destroyer on it, put something else on top.  I think a major ingredient
for rust-eaters is Sulphuric Acid, which is water-soluble.  So any
condensation inside your rockers could remove it (just a guess... never
tested it!!)

My rockers will get a royal treatment- Zinc paint, rust paint, undercoat,
wax-oyl, whatever else I can find to spray in there!!

>      I would appreciate knowing what people have done. I don't want to
>      order specialty stuff from Eastwood, for example; I'd rather use stuff
>      that's more readily available so generic responses are welcome.

For temporary protection, use WD-40.  That's what it's made for- but it
only lasts about a week (less if you work with the metal)

For metal parts that will be stored for extended lengths of time I apply a
thin layer of cheap grease.  It's messy but it keeps it clean and
rust-free.  I did some exploratory surgery on one of my rear fenders last
year and it's been sitting ever since (I got depressed ;-))  I will be
pulling it out of storage soon to repair it.  The last few repair have
been horrible- new metal stacked upon old- not recommended.