Re: Steering column squeak

To: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Subject: Re: Steering column squeak
From: "Sumner Weisman" <sweisman@gis.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 17:49:37 -0400
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Thanks, Jack,

The fill plug for the gearbox is the lowest one, as you say about 9 or so
inches (or lower) above the gearbox.  I have read that you should put in
there the same oil you use for the rear end. SAE 90 as I recall  - could be
wrong.  I'll look it up.

I can't figure the upper rubber plug.  It seems captive, with rubber
extending under the steering column metal.  Maybe I should leave it alone.
Hopefully some knowledgeable lister will clue me in about that plug.

With regard to the felt bushing at the top -- one lister told me that he
used graphite there and it solved the problem.  I'll try it.  According to
one of my books (Ball) you should never use oil on it.  I will loosen up
the adjustment nut and see if I can get some powdered graphite in there.

Incidentally, natives of Britain in the 60's must have had very long legs.
I am 5'10'', and with the steering wheel adjusted all the way down, it's
still in my face when I move the seat up to where I can reach the gas
pedal.

Sumner Weisman
62 TR-3B