Ignition voltage query

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Ignition voltage query
From: jaltman@altlaw.com
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 18:56:44 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
I have been experiencing some "chugginess" in the running of the engine
(69-6) lately and suspect ignition as the source.  Points and condenser are
new, rotor and dizzy cap recent.  Point gap is right, so's timing. Here's
what puzzles me: Voltage at + on coil is 14 v. but neg side is 7.4.  This
seems low, but I don't know what it should be.  There should be some voltage
drop in the coil due to the internal resistance of the coil, but that much?
This is with the engine running.  Engine off, points open is 13.7v, both
sides.  I guess I could be reading the average value of the square wave
produced by the opening and closing of the points.

The second thing I notice is that the spark plug wires have about 1000 ohms
resistance.  I would have expected 0 ohms.  They all seem to be about the
same.  I checked some old ones sitting around and they had about 3k
resistance. Is this right?

Any thoughts?  Except for the chugginess the engine is running fine, good
pickup and all.

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/metro/jaltman.html    69-TR6#CC28754L  W4UCK