Re: TR3 Sway Bars

To: miket@urgrgcc.edu, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3 Sway Bars
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 07:50:21
Hi Mike,
     You asked:

>Does anyone autocross or race a TR3 or early non IRS TR4 or have any
>expertise on the subject.

I've been known to autocross my TR-4 from time to time (see my
homepage for more details).

>If so, should you use a sway bar on the front
>only or does it handle better with both front and rear sway bars.

What class are you planning to run the car in?  If you're planning
on an SCCA stock class, be aware that you're not allowed to run a
rear bar.  Are you making any other changes to the suspension at
this time (ie, heavier springs, stiffer shocks, etc)?  Finally,
what bars are you planning on running?

OK, I'll assume that you're looking at the Addco bars since they
are the most commonly available ones for that car; further I'll
assume that you're not making any other siginificant suspension
changes.  In that case, I'd say that you are better off with
just the front Addco bar.  My TR4 had both a front and a rear bar
on it when I purchased it, and it oversteered horribly.  I've since
corrected that with custom bars.  Not learning my lesson, I went
ahead and put both Addco bars on my TR-3A and had the same problem,
the car oversteered badly (this car also has Koni shocks at the
front, competition shocks at the rear and uprated springs all around).
I pulled the rear sway bar, it is much nicer to drive now.  I am
of the opinion that the Addco front bar is *way* too small to
use with their rear bar, and that's why the cars oversteer when
both bars are used.  Just my opinion, YMMV, etc. etc

I hope that helps,

R. John Lye

'59 TR-3A; '62 TR-4; '70 GT-6+
Palmyra, VA  USA