TR6 interior & aluminium insulation

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 interior & aluminium insulation
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 09:24:09 -0700
Bill,

You wrote:
What's the brand name of this stuff? Wheredya get it? How thick is it?
I just bought a huge roll of Johns Manville Comfort Therm insulation for
my Herald. It's standard yellow fibreglass batting completely enclosed
in plastic. Only cost $10, so I'll gladly eat it in favor of the
aluminum foil stuff.

I purchased this at my local building suppy outlet.  Here in San Diego it
was Dixieline, but Home Depot or Menards (?) for Midwesterners should
supply it.  It was in bulk form, so I don' t have a brand name.  Sometimes
you see it for sale in rolls at auto swap meets.  Hot rodders use it a lot.
The stuff is composed of about a 1/4 inch thick layer of plastic bubble
wrap sandwiched between two sheets of relfective aluminium.  The price is
dear but is well worth it.

One word of caution.  I covered all the interior areas that were part of
the firewall.  When reinstalling the pedal box, I had some difficulty
getting the bolts started.  (I was off by a 1/4 in the x and y axis)  Once
started I was able to tighten the box back into position.  Don't worry
about pre-cutting holes for all the cables coming through the firewall into
the interior.  Just install the insulation first.  After the stuff was
secure, I used an awl to punch a hole through the insulation and reamed it
out a little with a scissors.  All the cables easily slipped through the
insulation (The only exception was for the main wiring harness and the
opening for the clutch and brake master cylinders)

Good luck.  I hope you find this stuff.

Dave,
San Diego, Ca
1970 TR6 CP51649